Saturday 3 March 2012

The ancient craft of Lace-making is a tradition in Brugge

Lace is typical Flemish product. Here in Brugge it is a tradition and you find many shops all over the city which sell the most beautiful lace. Some shops are inventive and make table cloth, dresses, handkerchiefs, puppets and all kinds of decorations. They even start to add colour to the traditionally white pieces of work. The most famous lace is the bobbin lace which is made with small pieces of wood instead of needles. For the Japanese tourists it is almost impossible to leave Brugge without buying any lace. The pictures say it all.

Kant is een typisch Vlaams product. Hier in Brugge is het een traditie en vele winkels verdeeld over de stad verkopen het allermooiste kant. Sommigen zijn creatief en maken tafelkant, jurkjes, zakdoeken, poppen, en allerlei decoraties. Er zijn zelfs winkels die met kleur beginnen te werken op de normaal hagelwitte doekjes. Het meest beroemde kant is het kloskant dat wordt gemaakt met behulp van houten blokjes in plaats van naalden. Voor Japanse toeristen is het bijna onmogelijk Brugge te verlaten zonder kant te kopen. De foto’s zeggen alles.

Kant
Kant
Kant
Kant
Kant
Kant
Kant
Kant
Kant
Kant
Previous Brugge article: The Poortersloge, playground of the rich from the 15th century

Return to main page

16 comments:

  1. Wow, all those beautiful laces!
    My favorite is the butterflies.
    Have a great weekend.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely items! Especially the last photo! An amazing day to shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed this tremendously!!! You have such a wonderful variety. I have never heard of or seen this bobbin lace before. So how cool to actually see what you are talking about!!! I would have bought one of those little girl dolls with the tiny bobbins making lace!!! I don't know how the both if you keep from buying things, you see so many fabulous things!!! Here, we call lace making Tatting, but it is done with needles. My mom used to tell me that it is very hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Een perfecte gok, Filip ! Rasechte Bruggeling ! Als je bij Brugge kijkt op mijn blogje...
    Kwamen jullie dansen..., of op vakantie... ?
    Lie(f)s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid handiwork. I like the look, but only that gray scarf might interest me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. exquisite laces; I admired mostly the round doileys in the third photograph

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful to watch, but I've learned not to buy anything anymore.
    Dolls are lovely, perhaps, after all ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ja, zeg, wat een werk hè, heel fijntjes. Heel herkenbaar dat Brugse kant en al die winkeltjes daar. Leuke serie zo.
    Groetjes, Mirthe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaaaah, this brings back great memories! I was born in Bruges, and I worked in a lace shop during holidays. My mother in law taught me how to make lace, I can still do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely


    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    >< } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing lace work. I love the last one, such gorgeous colors

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ja, in Brugge zie je nog van deze zaken. Ik heb respect voor de mensen die dit
    doen. Ik heb zelf voor jaren een workshop kantklossen gedaan, maar ben niet doorgegaan. Ook heb ik in Brugge toen een doopjurk met kant voor mijn eerstgeboren neef gekocht. Jou prachtige serie wekt leuke herinneringen in mij.
    Heel leuke serie Fiip

    ReplyDelete
  13. I realise now that the lace I've seen to date really isn't lace at all! Not when I compare it to these magnificent workds of art!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dat is zo mooi gemaakt het kant, draag het zelf niet maar vind het prachtig om te zien in een jurk of blouse.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.